Thursday, January 11, 2018

Keep On Flying

Awhile back I saw a picture of these two eagles flying. Except one of the eagles had snuck underneath the other eagle and grabbed hold of the fish that eagle had caught. To make this a little easier let's name these eagles. Ralph will  be the one trying to steal the fish and Sam is the one that caught the fish fair and square. Now both had a death grip on this fish. Ralph is upside down hanging on trying to wrestle this fish away from Sam. Who would win? Will Ralph pull and tug and just wear Sam down to where he finally loses grip of the fish? Or will Sam, perhaps, in the last moment just when all hope seems gone he will keep his grip on the fish and finally shake Ralph away?

I have no idea who won the battle between Ralph and Sam but it did prove to be an unusual visual for me. See I imagine Sam flying and perhaps waiting a long time and working hard to get that fish. As he is flying along he is thinking how good it will be to have a belly full of this scrumptious fish. When suddenly he feels a jerk from underneath. What is this? Oh no, it's Ralph,that sneaky eagle from across the way that always tries to steal Sam's food because Ralph isn't a good hunter or maybe he just wants to destroy and rob Sam.

Sometimes things happen in life that try to be like Ralph and try to come and steal our peace, joy, our hope or something else. Perhaps we have been like Sam and have waited a long time for a promise to be fulfilled, or we're finally moving forward from some obstacles that have hindered us for a long time. Maybe we have been fighting this for so long and we are so hungry and so excited and thankful for catching that fish if you will and so we are flying back to enjoy this moment and gain some strength back. When suddenly we feel that jerk come from underneath us, the rug has been pulled right out from underneath us and we feel like we are going to fall and lose our fish and any progress we may have made. These moments can be attacks  personally against us or sometimes it can be watching or knowing someone you care about is going through something and you don't know what to do to help and you just feel so helpless. Either way, the enemy has snuck in and got a grasp on that hope, joy,  love or faith that you picked up and he wants to take it back away from you. In those moments when I have to fight yet again for some of these things I will be honest sometimes I just want to let the "fish" go. I just am tired of fighting. I feel like is there even a point, will there be enough of the "fish" left to eat and gain any strength and get any nutrients from. But then I remember how hard and long I waited to get this hope, joy, peace, etc and I am not going to let go of it that easy. And you know what sometimes I need help making sure I don't lose this fish to my enemy.

Bit of a vulnerable moment but I recently was flying along when suddenly I got hit pretty hard with depression. I tried to hide it, tried to even fight it on my own but I was fighting a losing battle and quickly losing my grip on what hope and strength I had. I am fortunate enough to have a couple of people that won't let me hide and they help me in so very many ways. This time was no different. They each in their own way reminded me and helped me to be able to grab a hold just a little tighter to the truth. Now I am flying a little better and have managed to get a much better grip on my faith. I have been reminded once again that I don't have to fight these battles by myself. See I believe God places people in our lives for a reason and if you're really fortunate you get those people that will stick with you and love you when you aren't very lovable and they remind you of who you are and help you find those things that you can lose when you try to fight a battle for to long on your own. I thank God for those people that will help you fight those battles or just every now and then remind you they are there and care for you. I am thankful that even on the worst days God still lives me and doesn't get frustrated and forsakes me but instead proves just how much He cares - do I always easily see it - no - but I know it to be true and I will stand on that until the day I die.

One last thought. The weather can be so messed up. For example today it was in the 60's and by this weekend we could have a winter storm with snow, ice and cold temperatures. As I was walking to my vehicle this evening I thought wow this is nice makes me ready for spring and then I thought this almost feels like the calm before the storm. Did I stop thinking there? I think not! Is it just me or does it sometimes feel like just when you are about to let go of that fish you generally seem to get a break. That moment that reminds you why you can't give up, let's you catch your breath and get a little rest, or maybe it just reminds you that yeah it really sucks right now but hang on because it will not last forever. Today felt like that. I don't do well in the winter, it's just not an easy season for me. And just like how the rough days don't last forever, not saying they don't last longer than I would like sometimes, the warm weather today reminded me to just breathe and remember that even though a storm may be coming or perhaps you are in it now, the warm and better days will return. 

If you are going through something and you are losing your grip you most sincerely have my prayers and if you need to talk I will be happy to listen and at least let you know you aren't alone in this. So send an email, leave a comment, or if you read this and know me personally send a text or call anytime. I may not have the answers or know what to say but I never want anyone to feel they have to go it alone and I will sit with you until the storm passes. Keep on flying, the view will be worth it.

Lastly, I would just like to add a couple of verses.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
Matthew 11:28

 But those who wait on the Lord
Shall renew their strength;
They shall mount up with wings like eagles,
They shall run and not be weary,
They shall walk and not faint.
Isaiah 40:31


No comments:

Post a Comment