Thursday, September 19, 2013

Stroll Down Memory Lane

I'm not really sure why I'm writing and actually posting this, maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to visit the memory again. I always find it interesting the things that happen that will cause you to take a stroll down memory lane even when you didn't intend to turn down that road. There is an elderly lady that goes to my church who has cancer and by the looks of things the cancer is about to win the battle down here but she gets the final victory. I had been wanting to go see her but things wasn't working out so I could and this past Sunday things worked out perfectly so I could go with a couple other people. When we got to her house we were sitting in the living room area and when she walked in it took me by surprise how much she reminded me of my grandma. I'd never looked at her before and thought about my grandma before but that day I did, many,  many times. I tried not to think on that because that can cause a breakdown if I'm not careful. We got to visit for awhile and when she was sitting in her chair she looked at some roses someone had got her for her birthday and she pointed them out and mentioned how pretty they were as well as some other flowers she had gotten. Again, I caught myself looking at her and thinking that sounds just like my grandma. Before we left she wanted us to pray with her, while the others I came with stood with her to pray I was just going to stand back and let them do their thing but as it was I ended up over there too. As I was standing in front of this person she said here hold my hand, now anyone that knows me any knows I'm not one for being touched or being in contact with other people, this time I didn't even think about it but just held her hand. After they finished praying she let go of my hand and hugged me and as long as I live I'll never be able to fully explain it or the feeling I got but in that moment it was just like I was not only hugging this person but I was getting to hug my grandma one more time. I guess where she has lost so much weight she was about the height and weight of my grandma is enough to explain it away and that I was just imagining things but as crazy as it may make me I like to think there is more to it than that. Oh, and did I mention she is the same age as my grandma.On top of that, yesterday as I had gotten out of my car and dropped something off at the house and as I was getting back in my car I happened to look down and wouldn't you know there was a feather on the ground. I couldn't help but smile as I reached down to pick it up and add it to my collection of feathers I've got in my car. I like to think it's my grandma's way of saying hi.  To not make this to depressing I should also add that before we left she had mentioned that she isn't in any pain, so thank God for that and I'm so glad that I'll always have the memory of getting to visit with this sweet lady I'll have the memory of that hug.

No comments:

Post a Comment