Thursday, September 19, 2013

What To Do...that is the question of the day

A while back I wrote a short story just to see if I could write a story, than I got some more ideas and added to the story and again thought I was done with it. I had let a couple people read it and one never mentioned it so I just assumed it was so terrible she couldn't even read it and didn't want to say anything in fear of hurting my feelings. Last week, she came up to me and said she read it and didn't want to put it down (not trying to sound like I'm bragging cause I still can't help but wonder if that was an exaggeration, but either way I'll take it) and then she goes and asks me 'So, what are you going to do about it? What is your next step with this story?' I was really content, or at the very least able to lie to myself and say I was content with it staying on my computer and no one seeing it. That was until she asked me that question and now I have constantly been asking myself what are you going to do about it, is it even good enough to try to do anything with? I have tried twice to post on Facebook to see if someone would be willing to read it and give me an honest critique of the story and add any suggestions of what should be added, deleted, or if the whole story is so bad it should be thrown away. I didn't keep the status up for very long because I suddenly got very anxious and worried that for once someone would actually say they would love to read it and that kind of freaked me out. I desperately want someone's opinion about it but apparently not enough to risk someone actually reading my story.  I also have had some ideas come to mind of ways I could add more to the story. Right now I would need to add roughly eight pages to get the word count where I could technically call it a novella and I think I could easily do that with the ideas rolling in my head. I just have a lot of self doubt that I could write that good of a story and again if I did write a decent story then what? I'm not going to lie several times through out my life I have dreamed of being able to have a story published, or since I have wrote some poems even one of them being published. I truly love to write, just like reading, it can take me anywhere and I can better explain myself. I just don't know who to ask that will read it and give an opinion and am I willing to believe their opinion, if they say it's good I would constantly think they are just saying that but if they say it's terrible I'd believe that way to easy. So now I'm stuck with trying to figure out what to do because that is the question!

No comments:

Post a Comment