Wednesday, January 8, 2014

People Watching

I'm roughly 95% sure I've written about this before but because I'm in a writing mood and there is that 5% chance I really haven't written on this subject I'm going to keep on typing like I'm on a great mission...which I am and that would be to bore you. It is no secret I am in introvert with a hint of shyness and a whole lot of other interesting stuff that makes me who I am. Part of that is that I love to people watch, not the obvious, rude staring stalking kind of people watching. It is interesting to me to watch people as they are on their way through stores, in a park, or any other number of places. Something about it reminds me we are all equal in that no matter what social status you may or may not carry, how much money you may or may not have we all live this life one day at a time, one breath at a time. The one and only time I've ever flown I found it fascinating to watch the hustle and bustle of the people in the airport as they went to get their luggage, to wait on their flight, or to grab a bite to eat as they waited. I have a tendency to wonder where people are going and go overboard on the thinking and wondering what their story is. We all have a story and perhaps it's the reader and wannabe writer in me that brings this out I'm not sure. Many times when I'm driving, especially on the interstate, when a car passes me I have an unintentional habit of looking at the license plate to see where they are from, or at least the car is from. Many times I think they may be going back home but if I'm heading down I-75 South and see a car from say Ontario then I tend to guess they are going somewhere on perhaps a dream vacation. I also have the habit of looking at the license plates even walking in a parking lot and wonder  if the person is from out of state if they are visiting family that they haven't seen in quite some time. Another fun part of this whole people watching thing is the listening to what these people say...now I ain't doing the out of my way terribly rude nosing to hear them but the parts of the conversation they are saying that are loud enough you can hear without trying. I have heard some of the funniest parts of conversations because of this. How I have kept form getting cursed out or worse is beyond me but usually when I laugh or smile enough to get the persons attention (unintentionally might I add) I've only gotten a smile or laugh in return. That is another thing that reminds me how when you get right down to the basics we are all the same. I guess what I'm getting at is instead of rushing through the mall or park and getting annoyed at the people that just seem to get in your way on your way home why not take the time to do some people watching and take in some of the sights and conversations going on around you...you may just be surprised how many are going through the same things or very similar situations as you are. Even if you don't maybe you'll be lucky and be like me and hear a funny conversation that gives you a laugh that you may so desperately need. Perhaps this is just wishful thinking or the dreamer in me but I think if we all took the time to see people for just that people with feelings, their own struggles and most importantly perhaps their own story then just maybe we wouldn't be so quick to judge and write their story in our minds (and 9 times out of 10 we aren't even close to getting the story correct). I must say that when you do this to you may just see that person that has a smile on their face, well you just might see a faint shine on their face where a tear just streamed down and they didn't have time to wipe it away. Or perhaps you'll see that single mom give her kid the whole cheeseburger as she tells her child she has already eaten and isn't hungry but it's clear neither have had a decent meal in awhile. Sometimes it takes the time and patience of people watching to realize we are all human, making the same mistakes and having dreams that we just can't help but wonder if we'll ever see them fulfilled.

No comments:

Post a Comment