Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Words

You ever hear someone say, 'I hope blah, blah, blah, but I don't know (or doubt) if it'll happen.' I sometimes want to ask why did you go throw that conjunction in there, it totally defeated the I hope... School house Rock once asked, 'Conjunction Junction, what's your function?' to waste a perfectly good I hope sentence is apparently one. Here's an example I'm sure most everyone has heard, been told, or maybe even said: 'I hope you get feeling better but I've heard that's hard to get over.' I'm not even gonna lie I've said it or some variation of it before. It starts out all encouraging with a lot of hope and you totally got this and with one simple conjunction it all just gets knocked down. To often, and this is something I've thought on several occasions over the years, I (and maybe you too) put a question mark or in this case a conjunction and add more doubt and say to much where I just need to put a period and let it go. Funny how it's almost always something negative that's said too. Not to take a turn on to Over thinking Avenue but that's kind of like life people can start out on the right track being positive that things are going to end great but something happens and it takes a turn to the negative and that's to often where it ends. I don't know but it seems like you should end whatever it is, be it a sentence or some event in life, on the positive note. It still might go to the pits, I know that's a very good possibility but I also know it's no fun being around a Debbie Downer all of the time either. There's a song called Words by Hawk Nelson and I like what it says, particularly these parts of the song: They've made me feel like a prisoner, they've made me feel set free. They've made me feel like a criminal, made me feel like a king....words can build you up, words can break you down. Start a fire in your heart or put it out. And that last part is especially true. I don't know why I'm on this big kick on what and how you say something, be it to yourself or others, but I'm just going to roll with it and hope I get whatever I'm supposed to. By the way if you have a friend that says I hope blah, blah, blah (and actually really does just say blah, blah, blah) you have found a friend full of sarcastic wit and wisdom, hang on to that friend!!

Finally because I said conjunction junction what's your function I now have that stuck in my head and I like being random so here is the video to that Schoolhouse Rock, which happens to be one of my absolute favorites. I also don't want to give the impression I'm hating on conjunctions! :)




No comments:

Post a Comment