Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Why? I don't know...

In school we were taught to look for and answer five basic questions when writing or doing some other projects, but those questions were: who, what, where, when and why. I was just thinking about that and if you ever pay attention (or to much in my case) why is always the last one mentioned. Perhaps it's just because it flows better when said in that order. For the purpose of proving my point and being able to write this (and to prove that I pay more attention to things than I should), let's just say that why is the last one listed because it is the most important question that needs to be answered and to often the most difficult to find a definitive answer. Sometimes to get to that answer you have to be willing to search far and wide and even wait years. Isn't it funny how three little letters with a question mark attached to the end can sometimes alter and even halt your life? This isn't to say one should never ask why or any kind of question again because if that was the case I'd be hurting since I'm constantly asking questions and seeking answers. As so often is said, how are you ever going to find out anything if you don't ask? My point, if there is one, is to often we get so focused on searching for the why that we forget every thing else we've learned and it's like we have a pair of cement shoes on and we get stuck and can't move on. I think this is especially true while searching for the answers to the darker side of why, you know those why (insert a bad thing that happened to you or someone you know). That's when if your not careful you get those cement shoes on and you can't move on and can sometimes start sinking. I spent so many years asking why to questions that either aren't the right time to get the answer to or I'll just never truly know and it bothered me for a long time and I did have those shoes on and got stuck. That is until I realized sometimes it's okay for the answer to why to be I don't know. For some reason it never really seems like an acceptable answer by many for a reply to why. All of the other questions (who, what, where, when, and even how) can be answered with I don't know and not much of a fuss is made about it. However, for myself, when I found I could accept I don't know it was easier to move on. Does that mean I won't come back to that particular why at some point, absolutely not, but I'll accept that it isn't the time for me to find out the complete story behind the why and yes I'm even willing to accept that I don't know is the final answer. To be honest sometimes we cut the question short, we ask why when it really should be why not. For example, I may ask 'why should I take a class? I've been out of school to long I don't even know where to start' but instead I should have asked 'why not take a class, it would help add experience to what I would like to do and it would give me something else to do.' Asking to many questions isn't the problem but sometimes how we ask and getting side tracked waiting for an answer that either can be right in front of us or just waiting on the horizon can cause an imaginary problem to hinder us. On a side note it is such a pet peeve of mine when you do ask someone why and the answer is because I said so, there should be some law against that even being allowed as an answer. Well that isn't what I had originally planned on writing about when I started this but that is just way to much to delete so I'll leave it and end by typing never be afraid to ask why even though you may not like or may not ever get the answer.

Recently saw this quote and absolutely loved it: Once you've accepted your flaws no one can use them against you (including yourself but that part is purely my opinion added to the quote)

No comments:

Post a Comment