Tuesday, October 28, 2014

If I'm honest...

If I'm honest I probably won't stick with the original idea for this particular writing but I liked the title so I'm keeping that. Actually, I honestly have no idea what is about to be typed. I'm just going to type and try not to put so much thought in if the subjects go together, if it's something anyone would want to read and so on. So shall we begin...

What is it about saying certain things that suddenly turns it into a competition? If you say you are sick then someone will say something along the lines of, 'Oh I bet you wasn't as sick as I was when...' There are so many examples of how this can happen. In fact, I recently had this happen about vision. I had made a statement something along the lines of I had bad eyesight and couldn't see without my glasses. The person then stated, 'You want to see bad eyesight let me show you my glasses.' and the proceeded to go get their glasses while I'm sitting there thinking when did this become a competition and I'll let you win. Granted I'm a pretty competitive person and hate to lose, although there are times I'll even purposefully lose for various reasons but that's somewhat off point. So I just smiled and agreed as they were pointing out how thick their glasses were and offered to let me look through them to see how bad their vision was which I declined. Since they wanted to make it a competition I'm declaring myself the winner simply because they had to actually go get their glasses while the only time I can take my glasses off is when I'm sleeping and taking a shower. To be honest I've only had these new glasses a couple of weeks and I'm already having trouble reading/seeing certain things. But my whole point was why does it have to become a competition, I just don't understand. It's not really something I want to win at or see the need to make sure I figure out a way that I can win. I'm guessing for the most part people don't even mean, or possibly even realize that it has suddenly turned into a game of I can do one better than that. I know I've done it before and I can't with 100% assurance say that I wasn't trying to do one better or make some now unknown point to the person. Perfect example is my previous statement of declaring myself the winner. Perhaps it just reminds people of something they have gone through and they are trying to point out they have the same problem, even perhaps a little worse, and I'm just taking the whole thing wrong and it seems like they are competing when it isn't the case at all. I don't know because to be honest I don't get people at all. It's kind of but not really like how you can't wait until you get a certain age so people will believe, understand and/or take you more serious. When in reality no matter what age you are someone will, or seemingly, always see you as to young or old to understand, do something, etc. 

I'm not sure, but imagine that I'm not the only one that has certain shows they grew up watching that they still miss watching. Many of the shows I love aired and ended long before I was even born but there were shows that began and ended in my time that I still love to watch. Thanks to reruns and DVD's I can still watch them. One of those shows I've started watching again and still love is Boy Meets World. Even with the inconsistencies in the story lines, especially with how and when Cory and Topanga met, it was still a great show. It's funny how certain characters from shows and books just stick with you and at the mention of them you get a feeling of nostalgia. The Ricardos (I Love Lucy), the Petries (The Dick Van Dyke Show), Darcy and the Bennets or even just the mention of Pemberley (Pride and Prejudice), Narnia, etc....all just a mention of a word will suddenly take you to another time and place that for a moment you can almost wish was real so you could go visit. Sometimes you just need to find a character in a book, television show or even a line in a song to say what you are feeling that you have been having trouble saying. But alas they are not real but that's okay because in some way there is still a little bit of the characteristics of those people in places here in the real world. It's nice to have a little escape but in the end can't beat the characters and places that can be found around you and the story that can be made with them.

If I'm honest I think I'm finished writing now and will leave you with a few pictures I recently took.







No comments:

Post a Comment