Tuesday, February 4, 2014

The Way I See It....

With the difficult time I'm having to type this and get it worded correctly I either really do need to or really shouldn't type it. I'm giving it another go and whether I post it or not I hope what I'm trying to say gets across in the words I'm attempting to type.

The mind is an amazing thing, no one can deny that, within its confines are our own memories, fears, dreams, favorite lines from movies and books and oh-so-very-much more. In our world today our minds get flooded with information so much so that many times I think we don't even realize what has been planted within our thoughts and the influence (intended or not) that sometimes grows from that little seed that was planted. Now I'm not saying hide yourself away and don't interact with anyone, watch any movies or listen to any music, etc. Even if you could manage to do that the mind is so amazing that you would still...shall I say be poisoned with false truths about yourself or others. My point, and I really do have one, if I can get it out isn't about the seriousness and true mental disorders that affect the mind but my focus and point is about the delusions we create (again intentionally or not) and how that can affect us. For example, you can't escape those magazines and the image of the people on the cover with the perfect outfits, with every hair in place, perfect skin texture and tone. You see those images and don't really think anything of it go on about your life but those images get planted in your mind and before long one can find themselves staring in the mirror seeing imperfections, your hair isn't the right color or style, you have a few extra pounds, or a pimple that just won't go away. I say imperfections not because I believe they are but to often we start comparing ourselves, sometimes without even realizing it, to this nonexistent perfect image of a person and then we begin to see imperfections where there is none. Our mind then gets us lost in this delusion that we are ugly, not smart, unloveable and so very many other lies. It's so easy to get in a mindset and believe these false truths because to often it makes more sense in our mind.

I guess before I go on I should say I just finished reading the book, Eyes Wide Open by Ted Dekker and if you read it than maybe you'll better get why I've got thinking this and what I'm trying to say. Short summary the book is focused on Christy and Austin who get locked up in a psych ward at St. Matthews hospital where the doctors are trying to prove that they are really Alice and Scott, respectively, all while they are trying to convince the doctors and eventually themselves that they are really Christy and Austin. Towards the end of the book they find these glasses and they put them on and suddenly they see the world and most importantly themselves as they really are. They meet someone who tells them that they are going to have to choose who and what they believe but what they are seeing with the glasses is the truth no matter what they are hearing in their mind or being told. With the glasses on everything makes sense and they understand and believe the truth but as soon as the glasses gets destroyed it becomes more difficult to remember and see the truth because they are being fed these thoughts and lies that if they think about them to much it makes more sense and seems more plausible than what they saw and heard with the glasses on.

Which got me thinking and wondering what kind of glasses I'm looking at myself and the world with and how many of us are looking through it with broken or no glasses. To often someone will joke with us and say you look fat in that outfit or what you believe in is a waste of time and can't be real. We may laugh it away and not think nothing of it for awhile but so often those thoughts can rush back and then make us question and if we don't keep those glasses on to see the truth or listen to the truth that is being whispered in our ears we can soon forget and get lost in those lies and see imperfections where there are none. Basically I guess I'm trying to say before you start believing every thing you think or hear about yourself check to see what glasses you are seeing yourself and the world around you because the mind is an amazing tool to use but sometimes it can be easily tricked and we can believe a lie. 

No comments:

Post a Comment