Friday, February 21, 2014

Speak Life

This post is based on two things with the main theme of me over analyzing/thinking...again.

Thing 1)   Last night as I was driving on a road that I drive a few times each week I noticed a house and on down the road a piece a barn that I hadn't remembered ever seeing before. Which got me thinking isn't it strange how you can travel the same road so often and yet still miss so much. However, this wasn't enough over thinking for my brain, no it took it one step further. Now isn't it strange how we can be around people day in and day out and yet still not really know them? We can miss little things about them and I don't even mean about that new outfit they got or hair cut and no one has noticed yet. I mean the things they say or do that if we took the time and stopped staring at the phone to see if we got one more like on Facebook or a text and really paid attention then we might find something new out about that person that we may think we already know so well. I thought I'd noticed every single house and barn there was to see on that road but that night I was proven wrong. Although I pay attention to that road when I drive it I still hadn't paid attention enough to notice every thing. I dare say the same thing goes for the people in my life.

Thing 2)    No secret I love music, may or not be a secret but I sometimes pay more attention than normal to the lyrics and sometimes how they may apply to my life at the present (or past...or future!). There are a couple of songs at present that are really hitting me but I'll focus on Speak Life by TobyMac (see video at end of blog if you've never heard the song or just want to hear it again).  The song talks about how we can use our words to build people up instead of tearing them down and making them feel bad about themselves. It kind of starts out how some days things just go wrong and you don't know why but by the end it gives examples of how if we just speak life, hope and love that the circumstance may not change but how we see it and can deal with it does (at least this is part of my take on the song but this song has so very many meanings to me that I can't begin to go in detail about them all) The whole song is a great message. In our personal life and when it comes to how we interact with others it just seems like it is so easy to doom, gloom and despair and believe that but what we really need to do is to speak life, hope and love. There is a quote at the end of the video that I absolutely love and sums it all up quite well: In every encounter we either give life or we drain it; there is no neutral exchange - Brennan Manning. It's to easy to think there is a neutral exchange, whether it's to save our own conscience so we can not have to think we have hurt others or we truly do believe we are helping (and of course the few that know they are hurting, draining that life and that unfortunately is there goal). I'm not perfect, not even the smallest fraction close to being so, and I have those not so perfect days where I find myself having to speak life and hope to my circumstances but I also have found that I've spoken the doom and gloom a bit to long before I remember to speak that life. I have no doubt that I have unfortunately said and done wrong to others to speak doom and gloom to them instead of helping build them up. It is my earnest goal and hope to always speak life, hope and love to myself and others more than anything else. Not only by the words I say but the actions that I do.




No comments:

Post a Comment