Thursday, May 15, 2014

Best Gifts in Life

To often in life people get so focused on how many material possessions they can give to people in their life that they end up spending so much time trying to afford these things they miss out completely on being in the lives of the people they care about. There is nothing wrong with material items or working a little extra and saving to get that extra special gift for someone. It's always nice to get to give someone that gift they've wanted for a long time and see the look on their face. However, I was thinking (like I too often do),at the time these may seem to be the best gifts to give but we often overlook and rarely give the best and long lasting gifts. In fact, I think so often people don't even realize they are even gifts. The things I'm talking about include but are not limited to calling/texting/emailing just to say hi when you are thinking of someone, taking time time to talk or just listen, laughing because let's face it one never can laugh to much or to often, etc. Basically, we need to take more time making memories together by doing things together because the excitement of that new gadget can only last a moment but a memory of an evening talking with a friend, well that can last a lifetime and no batteries are required! My memory isn't always the best but it never fails to be there and remind me of things people said or did for me at the exact time I need reminding. Often times I'll hear a song, see a cardinal, or some other seemingly simple thing and it makes me smile because it reminds me of special people in my life and the amazing gifts they have given me by helping me and being there for me in some way and in the end that's the best gift one can ever receive. I hope I give those kinds of gifts to people. I realize this is fairly similar to a post I wrote back around Christmas last year but apparently I needed the reminder and figure I'll go ahead and post it.

A wise person knows that there is something to be learned from everyone - Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment