Friday, May 9, 2014

Mother's Day

I saw a definition recently for mother as treating someone with kindness and affection and trying to protect that person from danger or difficulty. To me that is the most accurate definition I've ever read for a mother. Now here's hoping I can write what I want to say how I want it to come across....To many times I think people stay to focused on you have to have carried and delivered a child to be a mother but that aspect does  not automatically make you a mother or give you any right to that title. Just like when people describe a mother as the teacher, doctor, listener, referee, etc. there are many people that fit and fill the role of a mother in a persons life. For me my grandmother was the mother figure in my life. Based on this definition to me a mother can be a step mom, adopted mom, grandmother, aunt, cousin, or even the single father that is stepping up and being both parents to that child. Whatever the proper title that person carries that is in your life they can also hold a place in your heart as your mother because they treated you with kindness, was always there for you and did every thing in their power to protect you from the dangers or at least prepare you for those trials you may face in life. I always feel bad this time of year for the people that have lost their mothers, for those that long to be mothers but for whatever reason haven't been able to, and for those that have lost a child and no longer get to receive those hugs and gifts on Mother's Day. For those that fall in any of those categories I hope that this and every Mother's Day you live to see that you have peace and fond memories of your mother or child that you don't have with you and for those that don't have children I also hope you have peace and I hope that you have a child in your life that you can be that influence to and be able to help guide them in their life.  Because being a mother isn't about carrying and delivering a child it is about being there. I myself don't have any kids and highly doubt I ever will but I've realized that there are kids that have been placed in my journey through this life that I hope in some way I can help encourage, show them kindness and influence them in some positive way. Not to step in the way or take away anything from their parents because I wouldn't do that at all but I do believe that everyone is placed in your life for a reason and it is my sincere hope that I can always treat people with honesty, kindness and leave some kind of positive influence on them that lasts a lifetime. So this Sunday  I say Happy Mother's Day to the mothers out there including but not limited to the step mothers, grandmothers, aunts, friends, cousins, fathers, and anyone else I forgot and may I say thank you for stepping up and being a mother to that special child and person in your life. I couldn't end this without saying thank you to my grandmother who gave me so much love, kindness and wisdom. I miss you dearly but I cherish the memories and love you showed me. I'm still not entirely sure I was able to properly convey what I wanted to say but may we always remember to never take for granted those that step up and are those important figures in our life that help, or do their very best anyway, to guide us and keep us on the right pathway in life.




No comments:

Post a Comment