Thursday, July 3, 2014

Front Porch Sitting

I don't do many things well but when it comes to random thoughts and over thinking, those I am fantastic at. This is especially true and easily proved when I am driving. As a matter of fact most of my posts on here came to be due to a random or over thought about, well a  thought, while I was driving to some destination. This post is no exception. As I was driving I passed a house that is in the process of being built and I noticed the front porch is pretty much going to be non existent. That minor observation brought the following thought. I've noticed on a lot of new houses and even ones that have been built for a number of years just don't have much of a front, or back, porch. By not much I mean just room for you to stand there while knocking on the door, no room for a chair or room to just sit. This is going to sound weird but I find that sad, it's okay you can go ahead and call me crazy. I really do find it sad though because you just don't see people sitting outside on the porch together or some such thing like you used to. To me nothing is more inviting and just relaxing as sitting on a porch with a couple of chairs, bonus if they are rocking chairs, and maybe a little table to sit your cup of coffee or tea on. Or if it is a porch that has steps going up to it I'm just as comfortable sitting on the steps. I could spend hours in this kind of sitting with whatever book I'm currently reading, my journal, or catching up with family or friends. Okay the introvert in me could spend longer with the book and journal than with people but still nothing beats hearing stories of days gone by while sitting on a porch. Some of my favorite memories are of summer evenings sitting on the front porch at my grandma's or the early mornings she'd go outside to sit on the porch and drink her coffee. If I ever get my dream home (plain old log cabin) I'm going to make sure it has a big ol' porch. I just really do find it that important and relaxing to sit outside and get away from the distractions of life, that laundry that just will not hang itself up in the closet, the sounds of the television, the frustrations of work, etc. Sometimes, quite a lot actually, I find I just need to get away and sitting outside seeing the simple beauty of nature and listening to those sounds getting lost and finally being able to sort my thoughts, read a book, or just truly take in the beautiful surrounding and sometimes something as simple as sitting on the front porch helps me. Maybe I really am an old soul stuck in a thirty year old shell. So that was one of my random thoughts that carried me through a decent part of my journey. I also had a random thought about lightning bugs (or fireflies as some call them). I saw a bunch of them in a field and got to thinking first, that's a lot of lightning bugs and then I began to wonder if there was a name of a group of them. When I got home curiosity got the best of me so I did a search. I did find one website (www.funtrivia.com) that stated a group of lightning bugs is called sprinkle. I don't know if it's true but I rather like it anyway so I'm going to call them that whether it's true or not. That about does it for this edition of Random Thoughts of the Rambling Quiet Girl. Until next time, which probably won't be long because I already have another thought a brewing and waiting to be written and rambled on and on about but that one may not get any further than my journal or even just stuck in that never ending road of thoughts I got in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment