Thursday, March 26, 2015

A Little Bit Closer

I have a terrible habit of reading comments on Facebook posts and then inevitably regretting it, this being for pictures and such on pages I have liked. I regret it because you can realize just how rude and mean people can be to complete strangers and because I realize I just wasted time that I'll never get back reading stuff that doesn't matter at all. There are those times that I'll read a comment that is funny, puts something in a perspective I hadn't seen before or is just good. I recently was reading comments on a picture of Ireland (shocking I know, I seem to like to torture myself by looking at all of these pictures all while dreaming of the day I can go back) and just decided to read some of the comments I don't know why unless it worked out so I could see one comment in particular. Are you liking this walk through the forest I'm taking you on instead of the easy but less scenic route this should have been? Anyway the first comment I saw was something this persons grandma always said. Grandmas have the best advice don't they? The comment..right...so her grandma said that you are never lost, you are just on an unplanned tour of an unknown area. I love that. How much better is it to look at it like that be you actually lost somewhere or on your journey in life toward a certain goal? I need to remember that because I do tend to sometimes focus to much on how many steps I keep taking back or how far I have to go instead of how far I have made it. I am trying to remind myself that a little bit closer is better than nothing and nothing is better than going back to the starting line and if I go back to the starting line well there must have been something I needed to be reminded of again and I hope I remember to not take the same turn that got me back to the starting line. I think sometimes people put to much focus on the finish line and where you finish at. True that the people that finish first get the bigger, seemingly better trophy but what do they have besides a trophy sitting on a mantle somewhere collecting dust because they were in such a hurry to finish first that they missed so much on the journey. What is that saying....life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away. I think that's true with where we are at on this race called life, you shouldn't measure it by where you are compared to others because it's not fair to judge yourself to others when 1) you don't know what that other person has gone through to get where they are, nor do they likely know what you have gone through, 2) just cause you are on the same track doesn't mean you're wanting or trying to get to the same goal, 3) it's okay to take as many pit stops as you need to stay focused and get where you need to be and I've yet to find the hidden rule that some people seem to use to say otherwise. I love it when I meet a goal and get to the finish line but to be honest for me many times it's not the finish line that I remember throughout the years but the people I encountered on the way to the goal, the things I had to endure to keep pressing on to the goal, etc. For me the finish line is almost a bonus because the real prize is and has been what I've learned on the way. That's all I've got so I guess this concludes the ridiculously long scenic walk through the woods this time. 


No comments:

Post a Comment