Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Star Light, Star Bright

For as long as I can remember I have been fascinated by stars and loved looking at them. I'm not graceful to begin with and there have been many trips, and near falls because I was mesmerized by the stars while thinking I could still walk. I personally suggest just standing still, it's easier to enjoy the stars and saves a near fall for another time. Every morning on my way to my car I have a habit, albeit a little strange to some, and I'll look up to the stars. When I walk out my front door I have a perfect view of the sky and many mornings the big dipper is there to greet me. I don't care how late I am, how much I had rather crawl back in the bed, or any other thing I'd rather be doing, the moment I look up at that sky and see all those stars I forget it all. Perfect example is this morning, all I wanted to do was sleep and stay warm under my covers, until I walked outside and looked into the sky bursting with stars. I was so caught off guard and amazed I said out loud 'Wow!' as I went in circles taking in the view. I'm sure if any of my neighbors ever see me do this they  think I have lost my mind but that's okay I don't really care what they think of me. Anyway, I think my fascination with the stars is one of the few ways and things that can actually get my attention for more than five seconds and helps me focus on what really matters. Like this morning, and most mornings if I'm honest, I'm walking out the door still half asleep until something like seeing the sky full of stars snaps me awake and makes me take the time to appreciate the true wonders of life. For that moment while I'm looking up at the sky going around in circles I remember what is really important in life and it's not what we all to often tend to focus on but taking those extra seconds to enjoy someones company, to stop and smell the flowers, or to take that extra second to look up into the sky and not worry that it may make you late for work or wherever you may be going. Do I always do this? Of course not, I have my moments when I just can't take the chance and risk being late to do whatever I may think I should do. Usually when I do that I still end up late and missed out on the opportunity to see and enjoy whatever it may have been that I felt like I had no time for. However, those times, like this morning where I take the time I have a nice memory and a deeper appreciation for what truly matters in life. I'm human and the troubles and worries of life will sometimes take over and make me forget that appreciation but what really matters is the fact that I don't let those troubles and worries get me so distracted I miss the next opportunity to be reminded of what I need to focus on because to many missed opportunities and it's hard to remember what is important and really makes a difference in life.

I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness for it shows me the stars. 
- Og Mandino 

No comments:

Post a Comment