Saturday, October 19, 2013

All-American Bluegrass Girl


It is no secret I listen to many different kinds of music. My favorite genres are country, bluegrass and as some would say my church music, which could include but is not limited to contemporary, southern gospel, and pretty much every thing in between. I say all that to say this, even though I am young all my life I have loved and respected bluegrass music and  Rhonda Vincent is my absolute favorite bluegrass singer. A few years ago I was fortunate enough to see her at Dollywood and even got to meet her. I figured that would be the only time I’d ever get to see her in concert but as things sometimes turn out in life I quite by accident saw where she was going to be at Renfro Valley, which is only about an hour or so from where I live. My love for music, concerts and traveling made me decide in 1.4 seconds that I was going to do whatever I could to go and the day the tickets went on sale I was stalking the website so I could click on that buy tickets button. Fast forward to October 18th, at 8:00 pm and I’m sitting in my seat when I realize that me and my cousin (who by the way had never even heard Rhonda Vincent) were the youngest people there, no exaggeration or joking. If you’ve never seen Rhonda Vincent & The Rage in concert, I strongly encourage you to go to her website and check out her tour schedule and quickly grab you a ticket to a show that is near you. Trust me as much as they tour it shouldn’t be hard to find a show and it will be money very well spent. When you see them in concert you can tell that not only do they all have God given talents (they all can play multiple instruments and can sing very well in their own right) but they have fun and joke.  I have the utmost admiration and respect for Rhonda Vincent because she seems to genuinely appreciate her fans (when a singer will wait after every show and sign autographs, take pictures with fans, etc. that means a lot, especially when she has got to be pressed for time on the very hectic schedule she has).  She isn’t a self-centered
singer that wants the spotlight on her the whole show but instead gives all of her band members equal time to showcase their talents. Needless to say if you watch one video of any of their songs from a live performance on YouTube or go to one of their concerts you can quickly see why Rhonda Vincent & The Rage are one of, if not, the most awarded bluegrass bands in the industry. They remind you what good music is and how it’s okay to sit there and tap your foot and/or sing along but they also have a way to remind you to laugh and have fun. So if you read this blog and think I wouldn’t listen to bluegrass, that’s for those old hillbillies, I will say you are depriving yourself from hearing some of the best music around and I strongly encourage you to start your bluegrass listening with Rhonda Vincent & The Rage, there is a reason why she holds the title of Queen of Bluegrass and one song of hearing her pure vocals and that amazing picking on the mandolin you can see she has earned that title. Bluegrass music might not be on most peoples play list and I may get made fun of for listening to it but to steal a line from one of Rhonda Vincent’s songs, I am an All-American bluegrass girl and proud as I can be.


I also hope this doesn’t come across like I am bragging or arrogant about this opportunity or any of the other opportunities I have been very fortunate and blessed to have been able to do. I don’t take it for granted that I am at a time in my life where I can do these things that I truly only thought they would remain dreams


No comments:

Post a Comment