Monday, December 15, 2014

The Power of Words

Twenty six letters in the English alphabet. Doesn't really seem like a lot (I know there are languages that really do have less letters in the alphabet) like enough to make enough different words to continuously say something different, something useful, something meaningful, or sometimes even something hurtful. I find it fascinating the power that a combination of a few letters taken from the alphabet can truly have. They can be forgotten or hidden away in that special file in your memory bank only to be found and opened perhaps at just the right moment. I guess I type all of that because it always fascinates me when I read a book how those combination of letters and the authors creativeness ended up giving me advice, introducing me to characters that remind me of myself or people I know, and just taking me on adventures to places and times I wish I could really visit.

Can you tell I started reading another book?! This one is called Paper Angels by Billy Coffey. Fantastic story thus far, I didn't want to stop reading but the pull to write this was greater. When I read I tend to write down little nuggets of quotes, lines from the books that resonate with what I am or have been feeling and could encourage me or just give me something to ponder on. This book has already given me several. I would like to write three of them. Maybe they won't mean anything to you or maybe they'all give you something to think about.

- In the end it's what you do and not what you meant to do that matters. (I'm a firm believer actions speak louder than words. At least I hope so since hardly anyone ever hears my words! Sad, yet funny but true)

- Because in the end people are broken and spend their lives trying to put the pieces together. Your job is to help them find the pieces. (It's nice to have people willing to help you find those pieces even when you sometimes don't want to look for them)

- To feel sadness did not mean I had no faith; it meant I had an abundance of it...the real conquerers of life were the ones who knew not only when to laugh but when to cry

Seventy something pages in and I am truly enjoying this book. Gonna be one of those I'll have to stay up to finish.

So earlier this year in my very random thoughts I got the bright idea to send a fan letter to Carol Burnett and Lana Parrilla. To my surprise and absolute excitement I received replies from both. On the picture from Lana Parrilla she wrote Big Hugs which is kind of funny since I am so backwards about hugs (although I am getting better and a few people have made the list of I don't mind receiving hugs from). I found it funny but maybe it's one of those you have to be me or know me type things. Anyway I thought it was super nice that they took the time out of their busy schedule to reply to my letters, to this quiet girl from the hills of Kentucky. I truly appreciated it. Now if I could meet Nathan Fillion... lol a girl can dream, eh?!


No comments:

Post a Comment