Tuesday, December 30, 2014

just writing about another book I read...

Once again I must write about a book I just finished reading. Actually it was one of those gems you have to finish in one setting. The book this round is The Mistletoe Promise by Richard Paul Evans (you may remember I wrote about his series The Walk). He has quickly became one of my favorite authors and this book further proves why. This book was the book I asked for Christmas and was so excited I got it I gave my cousin a hug (that's huge for me). Anyway, this book is the perfect read for that cold winter night. It focuses on Elise and Nicholas who is tired of being alone during the holidays and proposes that he and Elise act like a couple for eight weeks. If you read the contract it's a pretty sweet deal. Both parties have secrets that darken their past and continue to haunt their present. Who can't relate to that? Elise has had her secret used against her by her ex husband and even herself she basically feels she's unlovable and doesn't deserve a loving relationship. Ultimately Elise and Nicholas find they have more in common than they, or at least Elise, could have ever imagined. There's a part in the book when fear takes over Elise and she says, 'Before you judge me too harshly, consider your own deepest fears...fear doesn't listen to reason. It takes its own counsel.' That was one of the best, most accurate sentences I'd ever read about fear. In this book Elise discovers that she made a terrible mistake but that mistake doesn't make her unlovable or a terrible person that doesn't deserve forgiveness (including from herself) and happiness. We all make mistakes, I think the biggest one of all isn't the wrong we did but believing we don't deserve forgiveness but deserve to live in that state of I deserve to be unhappy, I don't deserve anything good, etc. lie that fear feeds us. I love how this story shows how we do that to ourselves and how we are so wrong to think that. Or that's what I got. It's a very sweet story. Seriously I got all teary eyed more times than I will admit and said, 'Oh, that is so sweet.' a whole lot. So if you are looking for a quick read you may want to grab this book. I recently saw a quote that stated: one kind of good book should leave you asking: how did the author know that about me? The Mistletoe Promise was that kind of book for me. Oh and bonus the book has an epilogue. I was excited to find that when I turned what I thought was the last page only to see Epilogue (I'm a big fan of an epilogue especially when I'm not quite ready to say goodbye to the characters) This has been a presentation of another random book review/report brought to you by Ramblings of a Quiet Girl. Not responsible for time spent truly enjoying previously mentioned book(s) or time deemed wasted reading (but really if you think that you aren't doing something right

No comments:

Post a Comment