Monday, June 10, 2013

Simple is better

This past weekend I got to go walking through Cumberland Gap for a little bit and was reminded how beautiful and peaceful it is just to walk through the woods. As we was traveling there the closer we got the more mountains we saw and it just made me smile, which sounds like I've lost my mind I'm sure, but to me I'd much rather look out the window and see trees instead of buildings. My reasoning behind this is, as stated before it brings me peace to just look at nature and more trees means less people, or generally it means less people than if say there is sky scrapers all around. Nothing against the big cities or people, I just like to get out and just hear the sounds of the birds and even the bugs if they'll leave me alone. To me I get to appreciate the simple things in life when I'm walking in the woods or even in my back yard. For a short time I can forget every thing and it's like time slows down to a much easier and better pace where I don't have to feel so rushed. It just reminds me that you don't need the most up-to-date gadgets or a ton of materialistic things to enjoy life. I truly believe that if you can't appreciate and enjoy the simple things that we have no control over, like a water fall, rainbow, or a wild flower growing, than how can we appreciate anything. Maybe it's the small town girl in me talking but I think it's these things that mean the most and will give someone the truest most pure joy that they can have. By many of societies standards I'm poor on so many levels but there is a line in Dolly Parton's song 'Coat of Many Colors' that is said so well and stands true nowadays and always:

 But they didn't understand it
And I tried to make them see
That one is only poor
Only if they choose to be
Now I know we had no money
But I was rich as I could be

I don't need brand names, all the latest gadgets or a brand new car from some high named company to be rich, let me be able to set outside looking at the trees and reading a book and I'll gladly consider myself the richest girl around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment