Saturday, June 1, 2013

One man's trash is another man's treasure

Every time I find myself wandering through a flea market I can truly understand the statement, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Like most every one else I have certain items that interest me and I may keep an eye out for but sometimes it's just interesting to go look and see the treasures, or trash, depending on how you want to look at it, you can find.  I especially love finding a booth that has really old items, it always makes me feel like I'm having my own little time travel. It always interests me when I see old pictures, although some times it can creep me out because like all pictures it can almost feel like the person is staring right back at you. Any time I see old pictures I can't help but wander what was going on in that person's life, what they may have done that day leading up to waiting to get the picture taken. Or seeing things like appliances, radios, or even old magazines and wondering who all has used them and what might have been going on while the items were used or read. Perhaps I think to much but I'm a big history buff and the past fascinates me. As I said earlier in a weird way it's like going through a museum and looking in to people's life and a glimpse in to a time that occurred before I was born. Although many see things in the booths in flea markets or even in peoples own homes and think it's trash and should be taken to the land fill. It is my belief that a persons treasure doesn't have to be found buried in a chest that can only be found with a map marked with a X but it can be found in your own home, maybe it's a family heirloom that has been put away and forgotten about, or maybe it's an item that may be unexpectedly found while walking through a junk store. Whether it's considered trash or treasure I always figure and wonder what person at one time thought the item was the big thing to have and what they had to go through to get it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment