Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Writing

Last year around November I had the idea that I was going to try to write a short story just because I wanted to see if I could write a decent story. I finished it and it ended up being almost 15 pages which was longer than I intended but I also knew that towards the end I kind of rushed through just to get to an end. I ended up only showing that to one person and than I put it away figuring it'd just be in the pile of things I'll probably never completely finish. Sadly, that pile of stuff is much bigger than I would like and I am working on really finishing it and not having a 'pile' for stuff like that. I honestly figured that was the end of it, I realized I could write a half-hearted, half-way decent story and that's all I really wanted to prove to myself anyway, but I guess that's what I get for thinking. I'm fairly certain people think I exaggerate when I say I have very random thoughts but this past Sunday if you could be in my head (and thank God you can't, it's terrifying at times!) it would be evident it's truly not much of an exaggeration. On this particular day I was driving down the road when out of the blue I got a couple ideas to add/change to my story that I had long put away and thought I had forgot about. Usually, this is where it would end because I would honestly forget about it or conveniently put it in the back of my mind until it was no longer a thought. This time I decided why not see where it goes....again. Last night I even got started making some notes on what to add or change.  I got through about seven pages of making notes before I gave up for the night and got thinking why am I even doing this it's not like I'll show it to anyone. As I drifted off to sleep last night I truly didn't have an answer to my own question but as I type this I think I now know. I'm not doing this for anyone else and if I never show it to anyone that's okay but I am doing it because writing, or attempting to write, is something I enjoy doing and as anyone who enjoys a good book or writing knows you can't leave a story unfinished.

No comments:

Post a Comment