Thursday, June 27, 2013

Throwing stones

You know people talk about the barbaric days when people would stone you to death and they were treated harshly and will say how good it is we don't live in times like that anymore. It seems to me things haven't changed at all, we've changed the stone to a click of the mouse to share with thousands of people in seconds to try to destroy people. If someone does something we don't agree with or don't like we now take them to court to sue them for every thing they have. And yes there are still actual stones being thrown at people as well. I bring all of this up because of the ridiculousness of what is going on with Paula Deen. Now before every one calls me a racist and say I think it's okay for the word she said I will say I truly hate that word and don't like to hear it being said by ANYONE. I have friends from different races, social standing, and ages. The thing that is irritating me and blows my mind is 1) the fact that it was said years ago, 2) she admitted she was wrong, how many people do you know, yourself included will actually admit a wrong that was done, 3) she seems to have sincerely apologized and yet no one is acknowledging that or even willing to accept it. I put on Facebook yesterday and I'll put it here, it never ceases to amaze me how quick we are to throw stones and say people are so judgmental, cruel, etc. Do we not realize those same stones are going to have to be thrown at us because unless you have found the secret formula to perfection and have never made a mistake in your life you've done something that was wrong, possibly even a derogatory remark about someone. Does that give anyone the right to go ahead and say it, absolutely not. There is never a good reason or excuse to demean people in any way, shape, or form for any reason. We're all only human, unless cyborgs are silently taking over and I still haven't realized it yet, but otherwise our emotions can take over at times and words can slip out in a fleeting moment when you lose control of rational thinking. Now someone will likely say so does this make it okay when someone commits murder because they lost control of their emotions or thinking, of course not and again I am not saying it's right what we say or do when we lose control and say things we will later regret. My biggest and main point that I wish every one would ask themselves is this: We're human, we make mistakes. How many times, if you're honest with yourself, have you said something directly to someone or behind their back that belittled them, was mean, or a number of other reasons. If you've went through or are going through your teens I can guarantee you've had an argument with your parents/guardians that you've gotten mad and said you hated them. Nine times out of ten you didn't hate them but you said it anyway. Let's assume you went ahead and apologized it, now when you're in your 40's or 50's should your parent then bring it up again and berate you over it and than say I'm taking all your privileges away, you can't have access to your car, home, computer, etc.? In a way that's what's happening now. So basically I'll end with this, before you throw the stone how about you looking at your own self and realizing that once that stone is thrown there is no getting it back before it knocks the person out and the stones will one day be thrown at you. We have become so quick to be judge/jury and will condemn a person before we even give them a chance to tell the story. It saddens me that we have gotten where we are quick to throw the stone and judge and extremely slow to listen and accept an apology and forgive someone. Lord knows I have said plenty of things I have regretted over my time here on this earth so far, some probably have me earning a stone being thrown at me, but over the years I have grown and seen and owned up to my mistakes and have apologized and asked for forgiveness. We live and learn but we shouldn't have to pay for mistakes done years ago when we've realized and admitted the wrong and have apologized to the people that it affected and asked forgiveness from them and God.

No comments:

Post a Comment