Friday, June 6, 2014

Comfort Zone

I like my comfort zones, they are familiar and I have a certain amount of control over what is changed and when that change occurs. That is great for someone that doesn't like sudden change and can take years to make one little change that to the outsider seems a simple fix but to me not so much. With that being said, sometimes comfort zones can get very boring and seem like you're not getting anywhere or anything done. And that is where I'm currently finding myself. So I'm walking the perimeters and all areas of my little comfort zone in trying to figure out why I am so bored and just where I need to be to take that first step out away from where I am. For awhile now I've just been trying to sit back and take a break because I have been making small (to outsiders but huge to me) changes and been redecorating my comfort zone in a sense. The break didn't last as long as I expected so now I find myself trying to decide how and when to tackle this next round of cleaning up and fixing. You know people are always saying don't look back and/or don't live in the past and I completely agree except sometimes I find I have to take a glance back to assure myself  I really have stepped out and am making changes because to often when I'm just looking ahead I get overwhelmed by what looks like an endless list of things I need to change or roads I want to take and part of me will want to run back to my comfort place and hide to never come back out again. However, when I take that glance back I see just how far I've made it and survived so when I get where I want to run back sometimes I just step to the side and give myself a little pep talk, you know the whole look how far you've come now you may have to take more stops but you can do this. Now I try not to look back to long and I sure don't try to take any steps forward while looking back cause I barely can walk while looking in the right direction without tripping. I've gotten where even when I do run back and build some walls up I don't, or try not to, knock myself down but instead say plot twist and just give myself some time and learn what I got to do to make it further and closer to my goal the next time I take that route. I'm probably making this sound like I'm just skipping my way out of my comfort zone while singing a little song with a little bird whistling along but I really don't. I'll argue with myself a lot of the steps on the way and struggle with if I'm making the right decision. If it was easy I wouldn't be able to appreciate the hard work it took me to finally make the changes to be who I want to be. I also tend to not ask for advice or help very often but it is nice to know that the very select few (seriously I can count them on one hand) I trust to actually talk to will be there to listen. Anyway, I didn't write that how I intended when I started and it probably makes absolutely no sense but basically here's to those of us who struggle to step away from our comfort zones and may we remember to pat ourselves on the back for the accomplishments we make along that road.

No comments:

Post a Comment