Thursday, June 5, 2014

Driving My Life Away

Yesterday I had to go get the oil changed in my car and when I paid for it the guy said, 'You sure do a lot of driving.'  I found it amusing and just laughed and agreed with him. As I was leaving I thought, I didn't buy the car to set in my driveway and look pretty (I will neither confirm nor deny if said statement was said aloud or not!). Although in hindsight a hilarious response would've been, 'Ooh I'm driving my life away, looking for a better way, for me...' (the Eddie Rabbit song, in case no one has heard it).  I would use other means of transportation but where I live if you want to get anywhere you gotta get in the car. I mean I have to go to a bordering county (about 20 miles one way) to even go to a theater to see a movie. Now I'm getting in better shape but there just ain't no way I could ride a bike that far. Well, maybe I could but it would take me forever and a day. I tend to get restless so I'll get in the car drive around and listen to music. Besides if I have the means and want to go somewhere I'm taking it while I have the opportunity. I jokingly say I have to get out of the county every now and then, and by that I mean at least once a week, just to make sure it is still possible to get out of the county. Not to mention I have the best conversations and am able to better sort out my thoughts while driving.

Onto my next random subject now.

Have you ever had anyone say, 'you look just like so and so' (I'm still waiting to meet someone named so and so by the way). I personally don't care because I just don't put  that much stock in looks. After all they can fade and be changed, be it naturally with age or if you got the money by the finest plastic surgeons. I'm personally not that good at playing that whole game of who do they look more like. How I act has always been more important to me than who I look like or how I look. I'll never meet societies idea of beautiful so I just get where I'm happy with how I look and go on to the more important things in life. I love how you also get the whole you act just like so and so (I'd make up a name but my luck I'd have a family member named that and by some unbelievable chance they'd read this and take it all wrong). Although I hate how people use that reason as a total cop out to excuse and continue to act in ways that are unnecessary (rude, mean, etc.). I've picked up some very handy and some outright terrible habits be it by outright inheriting it or by osmosis of the ones I am around or see. I continue to work very hard to break and get away from those not so good habits. Lastly, I love how when you do or like something (a certain genre of music, book, movie, etc.) that family members will say I just don't know who you took that back after. I keep waiting for someone to break out that handy dandy book, 'Characteristics of (insert family name here) Family: Past and Present. to try to find someone to blame for that particular characteristic. Somewhere, some day there will be an app for that! I just don't understand why everything has to be about who you took that back after. Can there not be certain things that I just do because that is me. Basically, I have no problem giving credit where credit is due and I have gotten some fantastic traits passed along the gene pool to me but a lot of who I am is also based on so very much more too. I'm a hodgepodge of so many different people and things but in the end all I am is me.

No comments:

Post a Comment