Monday, June 9, 2014

The Well

Growing up, and even still to this day, I'll hear people talking about going to the well to get water. In many areas to this day that is the only means to get drinkable water. A person can go more than three weeks without food but  not more than three days without water, generally speaking anyway. Now for those people that have and/or are still using wells as their source to have water they are going to put a cover over that well so trash isn't put in or animals don't get in it. We need water to drink to survive, to cook our food and many other things. It's a very precious thing so when your only means of getting it is from a well you are going to take all precautions and means necessary to make sure your water doesn't get contaminated, right? Right. Why am I saying all of this? I'm so glad you asked! There is a song that I absolutely love called The Well by Casting Crowns. I've heard this song countless times but last night I heard it and I had an epiphany of sorts. To me my mind is like my well (it could be argued your heart is but for the purpose of this blog just work with me). My mind holds contents that helps me survive, helps me remember how to get to places, how to do various functions, etc. Basically without my mind, my well, I'm not going to be able to function very well. So why am I sometimes not so careful about putting my cover on and am careless on what I let in my well. Now I have my own list of what falls under what I shouldn't let in and focus on that could affect my well and thinking and it's going to be different than most others so I'll let my list be personal because that's not the focus of this. My point is I sometimes forget that I have more control and a say on what I listen to, be in my own thoughts or whatever, and to often I leave the guards down, or the cover off, and I let the trash in. It's easy to let it in, and many times not even realizing it, but when you start seeing it pile up it can be time consuming and sometimes challenging to get rid of it (i.e. change your way of thinking). We've all seen a section of a highway people have used for their own personal landfill and pieces of trash lying around. It doesn't look pretty. I've heard people say it's just a piece of gum wrapper, or a little water bottle, it isn't going to hurt anything. Maybe, but if everyone thinks that, than soon that one piece of trash very rapidly turns into hundreds, if not thousands of pieces of trash on the side of the road. Same thing with thoughts and what we let in our wells. One thought can quickly turn into many and soon you may be believing those lies that you are worthless (just an example) or whatever. So basically listening to that song again last night reminded me I need to be more careful of what I let in my mind, because it's very important to not let my well get contaminated.

Here's the song that was mentioned earlier and started this whole post.

No comments:

Post a Comment