Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Labels


Everyone has turned into Sheldon Cooper (The Big Bang Theory in case there are a few who for some reason don't watch the show) but instead of labeling objects we put a label on people and will not budge on what we believe that person stands for and what kind of person they are. Everyone has an opinion and most will share it whether anyone wants to hear it or not, however when it comes to listening to a differing opinion, well that's when it can get messy because a little something has hit the fan. I'm not even touching that one because that's just the way it's going to be until there aren't any people on this planet because obviously you're going to think you're opinion is right and nine times out of ten you're going to go on automatic shut down/defense mode when someone starts tearing apart you're opinion. Right or wrong it's something we've all done or still do and most of the time it's an automatic reaction you do (or at least I have done) without even thinking about it or realizing it until I replay the conversation in my head. I guess if anyone is still reading this and not bashing me I should say that I don't mean that you should automatically conform your opinion to go with the majority of others. Have an opinion and stand up for what you believe, as the song says if you don't stand for something you could fall for anything.

Anyway, back to the label thing, people are not like the food items in a grocery store that have a pre made label glued to the product. Instead we are each individuals that first of all have feelings , have different ways of figuring things out, like different foods, shows, books, etc. However because of this many want to put labels on people and have them in neat categories, maybe it's so they can feel superior or it helps them feel less intimidated by others I'll never know. I do know that when we do this we tend to put people in the wrong category, and lets face it no one can be put into just one category, and secondly we can miss out on knowing some of the nicest best people you could ever hope to know. I know without a doubt I've had labels put on me because of where I'm from, how I look and my religion. The saddest thing about labels is we use them as excuses to not to get to know people and assume that we know everything about them because they have this label. I think it would be a safe bet that out of all the labels people have associated with me not even a quarter of them are right.

I guess my long drawn out point is you have a right to your opinion and by all means please stand for what you believe but be careful who and WHY you are labeling people. Remember people are not objects that fit in a nice little package, how boring would that be, but should be able to express themselves and fit into as many categories as it takes to describe them. It's not that hard to be kind and show respect to people even if you don't agree with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment