Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Storms

The other day I was driving back home from seeing a movie and it was easy to see that a storm was a-coming, as Sophia from the Golden Girls would say. So I got in my car, getting hit by a few drops of rain, and started my journey back home. I had good timing in leaving because I stayed just enough ahead of the storm that I didn't get caught in it but I could see it behind me in the rear view mirror. I realize this doesn't seem like much to write about but I had a bit of an epiphany that day. Generally speaking, most people don't particularly like it when storms are in the forcast or you look up in the sky and see it begin to darken. With this particular storm it left me absolutely stunned at how beautiful the sky looked with the dark clouds rolling in. I realize that probably sounds strange because usually if people say the sky looks beautiful it is at least on a sunny day not when a storm is about to come. Kind of like life, we never say the metaphorical storm we're having to go through  is beautiful but when things are going good we can see the beauty around us. The farther I drove I kept looking back in my rear view mirror and continued to be in awe of what I was seeing. I also saw the clouds getting closer. Here's where I probably got thinking a little to much. Just like I can't always out drive the storms, I can't always stay away and run from the storms of life, but both can be beneficial if we can hang on for the ride and wait it out. I don't think one can truly appreciate the beauty of a sunny day or when you get good news if you don't have to go through a storm every now and then. It doesn't mean that it's going to be fun but occasionally you can even find something good and/or beautiful to focus on even in the storm, just like the amazing artistry of the clouds in the sky that I saw that evening. I realize this can be a lot easier when it's concerning the storms that involve rain, thunder and lightening instead of the ones we face in life. Of the two storms I prefer to face the weather storms instead of life storms, it's much easier to always know how to make the right decision to stay safe in the weather storms. Some times there can just be way to many roads to take to figure out what is the right one when you are in a life storm. I figure with either one you can't spend all of your time looking in the rear view mirror or you'll never get out of either one.

No comments:

Post a Comment