Thursday, July 18, 2013

To publish or not...that is the question

I recently finished rewriting the story that I thought I had finished back in November, so I guess I should use the term finished very loosely. Anyway, so far I've given a copy of it to two people to read  and I kind of feel like I'm back in school waiting to see what kind of grade I'll get on a report I worked really hard on. I was told by one person it should be published (I just gave the other person a copy of it last night so she hasn't had time to say anything yet), but I'm fairly sure that she was just being really, really nice about it. Although it did get me thinking (again) about looking into self publishing my poems and the two stories I have written. I've gone back and forth on it so many times in just the past few days that I'm just going to have to force myself to quit thinking about it before it drives me crazy. I just don't think my writing are that good or even something others would like to read but I do seem to be my own worst critic. My problem seems to be that I always think when people read something I have written and say it's good I automatically think they are just saying that to be nice and not hurt my feelings and I'm not sure how to completely get out of that mindset. I have posted a couple of my poems/writings on here and on Facebook which is a step I suppose. Obviously, not every one is going to like every thing I write, whatever it may be, which is fine. All I can keep thinking is I want to do more with my writing, at least improve it if nothing else. It's not like I want to make a career, or side career with writing but I....uh, this not thinking about it is already proving to be very hard. I must be off to try to find this off switch to my thinking

No comments:

Post a Comment