Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Eyesight is not always 20/20 (patience suggested while reading this one)

*Disclaimer: I know this starts out sounding like a book report but I promise if you have patience and read it, towards the end I will finally get to my point, you can look for the * if you want to skip ahead to just get to my point

I recently had someone lend me some books to read. I love that because it ends up keeping me out of bookstores and from buying books when I get the impulse to get another one. Anyway, this book is part of  a series, which I sometimes hesitate to start because I either get really involved and the characters become so real to me I hate for the series to end or I don't get involved but feel obligated to finish the series. So far this series is definitely leaning towards getting involved and truly liking the characters and stories. In case you are wondering this book is, Where the Wild Rose Blooms by Lori Wick. I think this book is sticking out as one I can appreciate and feel like I'm right there because I can so relate to the characters. I love finding books where there is a character, or more, that reminds me of myself or someone I know. Many times while reading, at least if I'm really lucky, I'll catch myself reading something a character says or does and think, 'I do or say that all the time. I wonder how weird it is that if the character is going through a situation similar to one I am or have gone through I tend to read it more carefully than normal to see how they went about solving and getting through the problem. Sometimes books take the Hollywood way out but I have found two books that have made a great impact on me and legitimately helped me even though both were works of fiction. Those being the one aforementioned and Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers. Without giving anything away in the book by Lori Wick I have to say it's one of those times you find yourself really thinking and asking yourself serious thought provoking questions. Or at least I did, but maybe I take reading to a whole other level above what most people do when they read. I found myself at first relating to the character Edwina, she after all was the kind of person everyone assumes they are and wants to be but I quickly found I may be more like Jacqueline, or Jack as her father calls her. Basically, Jacqueline can let her pride get in her way and she thinks she's okay and will make it to heaven because she's a good person. Until tragedy hits and she pushes the man she loves away thinking he couldn't love her the way she is now. As fate would have it they meet again and Jacqueline begins to better understand the true meaning of accepting the love of the man she loves as well as the true meaning of God's love and forgiveness.

*Here's where I get to my point if you want to skip ahead*

Anyway, before this sounds even more like a book report I'll get to my point. While reading and ever since finishing the book I can't help but wonder how many of us are walking around blind but have vision. So often we see people with disabilities and find ourselves saying how terrible it is they have to face the world with their disability. Not realizing that even though they face a different route to get things done and no doubt a harder, steeper climb to get there they don't let it get in there way.  All the while not realizing that we so often are more disabled than the person we see as being hindered. I dare say the people I've seen that have had to face diversity and had disabilities were more determined and even thankful than people that can take the easy way to get their goal accomplished. Put another way, sometimes I wonder how many of us have sight but don't really see. When was the last time you took the time to enjoy the beauty of a sunset or looked up to see the wonder of a night sky full of stars? How many of us have hearing but don't really listen to the sounds and words of music, or catch the excitement as a friend tells about an event or even that change in their voice that says they aren't being 100% honest when they say everything is fine. Most importantly, perhaps,  is how many of us have health and the true blessings and treasures of life but aren't living and appreciating what we have? It's a lot of questions I know but I have asked myself all of them because like Jacqueline I thought I was okay but now I think it's time I take an honest look at myself. Sometimes it involves asking some tough questions I don't like the answer to and sometimes it means going through some trials to open your eyes to see the truth and what matters and to even be able to accept help and love and to move pride out of the way. Basically, in my long drawn out way, I'm just saying just because we have the gift of the senses (sight, hearing, touch, etc.) don't take for granted that you are using them to the full potential. And I do highly recommend the two books I mentioned, even if they aren't books you would normally read. I'll try reading any kind of book once. Forgive the longer than normal post, I have a lot of thinking to get out.

No comments:

Post a Comment