Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Yes, No, Maybe

Being quiet definitely has its advantages and most of the time I'm very content in being quiet, or only known as the quiet girl, but some times it can get aggravating. The biggest issue I think I have probably isn't what one would initially think. Most would probably assume it would be people not hearing me when I talk and/or having to constantly repeat myself but if someone doesn't initially hear me when I say something to them I'll generally just go on about my business and forget about it, nine times out of ten I was just trying to fill in an awkward silence or try to not make my quietness seem more like snobbish, rude behavior. In fact, my biggest issue is in the fact that people always assume when you say no that you really mean yes and are just to shy to say so. Admittedly, I have done this before but it isn't always the case, most of the time in fact. It's a bit more understandable when strangers may assume this but my friends and family should so be able to tell when there may be a yes or a maybe hiding out under the no that just came out of my mouth. Most people are probably thinking why don't you just say yes or no when you mean yes or no. Truthfully, I have gotten so much better about that and over 75% (if not more) of my responses are the honest to goodness answer that I am saying. I think that is just one of those automatic stereotypes that falls under the shy/quiet category and like most stereotypes can be proved to be untrue, especially once you get to know the shy/quiet person. Either way, just like people can't understand why it can be hard for a quiet person to just say or do what they want, I can't understand why people can't understand a no really does just mean no when it is said by a quiet person.

No comments:

Post a Comment